Monday, June 17, 2013

Homemade Laundry Soap Powder Recipe


I have been wanting to do my own laundry soap for a very long time but it just seemed that every recipe I was finding was for either "liquid" or it just didn't have enough information about the safety of using the homemade laundry soap in a HE washer.

After some research, I have come across a great recipe and I'm sharing it with my readers.

All items were found at Walmart (see receipt - I paid a total of $23.98):

3 to 4 bars of Fels Naptha Soap, grated
1 box of Borax (4 lb 12 oz)
1 box of Arm and Hammer Baking Soda (4 lbs)
1 box of Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda (3 lb 7 oz)
1 container of Oxy Clean (3 lb) or cheaper generic version can be used
Optional Scent Booster of your choice (Purex, Downy UnStopable, Gain Fireworks, etc.)
     -  You could substitute the fourth Fels Naptha Soap Bar for one bar of Ivory Soap, this makes for a better smelling laundry soap if you prefer not using the scent booster at all. This will save you even more money! 

I had a huge plastic container with a lid that I used to put all of my ingredients in and I stirred it all by tightly sealing the lid on and rolling the container on the floor (being careful that the lid didn't come off).  You could also use garbage bag to put all of the ingredients in and stir the contents without lifting the bag (careful, garage bags can rip open and you'll have a mess!).  

I had originally grated my Fels Naptha soap on a old cheese grater that I had bought at Goodwill (I don't want to cross-contaminate), but after I mixed all of the ingredients together, I wasn't really pleased with the end results since the large pieces of grated soap wasn't blending all that well. My solution to this problem was to scoop a small amount of the laundry soap and put it in an old food processor to mix everything together nicely (the Fels Naptha soap got grated into smaller pieces). You could essentially skip this step if you used the food processor to grate your Fels Naptha Soap from the beginning but some people found that it wasn't really working all that well for them (a bit clumpy).

YOU DO NOT have to add a Scent Booster, you can skip this step entirely and save even more money!  I have seen recipes where you use 3 bars of Fels Naphta and 1 bar of Ivory Soap, this is probably to make the Laundry smell better. :)  You could just add your scent booster separately if you don't want to use in every load.

For small loads, use 1 tbsp.  For regular loads use 1 to 2 tbsp. For Large to Extra Large Loads use 2 to 3 tbsp.

For those of you with HE washers, put the detergent directly into the washer (Do not use the dispenser).

I do not know how this affects those with sensitive skin, sorry.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK !! :)  I do not claim that this is safe to use in HE washers , however I am using it in mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment