Homemade Bagels that taste better then store bought!
1 cup of warm water (110 degrees)
3 cups of all-purpose flour (or bread flour)
1 1/2 teaspoon of salt
2 tablespoon of sugar
2 1/2 teaspoon of active dry yeast
3 quarts boiling water
3 tablespoon of sugar
1 tablespoon of corn meal (optional)
1 egg white (for basting on top of the bagels before baking)
3 tablespoon of poppy seeds or choice of seasoning/toppings (optional)
1. Place water (1 cup), salt, sugar (2 tbsp), flour, and yeast in the bread machine (in order recommended by the manufacturer). Select Dough Setting.
2. When cycle has finished, let dough rest on a lightly floured surface. Meanwhile, in a large pot bring three quarts of water to a boil. Stir in 3 tbsp of sugar.
3. Cut dough into 6 equal pieces for large bagels or 9 equal pieces for small bagels. Roll each piece into small ball. Flatten and poke a hole in the middle of each with your thumb. Twirl the dough around on your finger to enlarge the hole and do your best to even out the dough, it will not be perfect and that's perfectly fine. Cover bagels with a clean cloth and let it rise for 30 minutes or so.
4. Sprinkle an ungreased baking sheet with cornmeal (I personally skip this stage and opt to spray non-stick pam on my baking sheet, which turns the bottom of my bagels golden and forms a little bit of a crust which I enjoy). Carefully transfer bagels to boiling water and boil for 1 minute (30 second per side). Drain briefly on a clean towel and transfer to baking sheet.
5. Glaze tops of bagels with egg white and sprinkle with your choice of seasonings / toppings. I like mine plain (but I am going to try a cinnamon/sugar mixture very soon!).
6. Bake in preheated 375 F oven for approximately 20 to 25 minutes, until browned.
ENJOY WITH SOME CREAM CHEESE!
You'll be impressed with how good these are! They are so worth it!